The chart below represents our testing of the devices listed (some purpose built servers and some commercially available NAS devices). Tests were performed using the batch settings of the Intel NAS Toolkit test program. The median of 5 runs of each test is shown. More NAS speed tests will be added to the table as they become available.
The table above shows the NAS speed test results from our tests of the following:
- Home Built AMD Athlon Dual Core 4850e, 2.50GHz CPU, 2 GB RAM with Windows Home Server as the operating system and with 3 WD 2 TB Drives running in spanned dynamic disk mode (outside the storage pool).
- ACER Easystore H340 with a single core Atom processor - stock 2 GB RAM, running Windows Home Server with 2 WD 1 TB Green Drives and 2 1TB Hitachi drives
- MSI Wind Nettop PC using Ubuntu Server 8.04.2 with 2 GB of RAM and 1 Hitachi 1 TB drive.
- Home Built Intel Dual Core Duo, E6550 @ 2.33 GHz CPU, XP Pro (SP3) with 2 GB RAM using 3 WD Green 1 TB Drives in spanned dynamic disk mode
- The Thecus N5200 NAS with 4 Hitachi 1 TB drives configured in JBOD mode - N5200 was upgraded to 512 GB of RAM
- The WD My Book World Edition (White Bar Version) with a 1 TB Western Digital Hard drive.
- DNS-323 2 Bay NAS - with two 1 TB WD Green hard drives in JBOD mode.
All tests use a gigabit network without jumbo frames enabled.