We have surveyed the single drive NAS market and provide results for the best NAS 1 bay devices. We take into account the customer reviews for these NAS boxes as well as their popularity when choosing what products to present.
|Synology DiskStation 1-Bay (Diskless) Network Attached Storage DS112 (White)||This single bay Synology NAS comes in both diskless form and with a disk already installed (as an option). CPU: 1.6GHz w/ Hardware Encrypted Engine|
RAM Size: 256MB DDR3
Internal HDD: 1x 3.5" or 2.5" SATA2
Max Internal Capacity: 4TB (1x 4TB HDD)
External HDD Interface: 2x USB 3.0 Ports; 1x eSATA Port
LAN: 1x Gigabit
|QNAP TS-120 Marvell 1.6GHz CPU 512MB RAM USB 3.0/1-Bay Personal Cloud NAS with DLNA, Mobile App and iSCSI||QNAP's one drive offering gets rave reviews. Multi-window, multi-tasking GUI|
Data storage, backup, sharing and disaster recovery
Rich multimedia applications for entertainment
Dropbox-like file synchronization
|Synology America DiskStation 1-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage (DS114)||Little brother of the Synology DS 214, this is one powerful single bay NAS. CPU with Floating-Point Unit Enabling Fast Multimedia Processing|
512MB RAM for increased Multi-Tasking Power
Features Super Speed USB30
Quiet and Smart Cooling
Quick and Easy System Installation
Running on Sinology Disk Station Manager (DSM)
|BUFFALO LinkStation Live 3 TB Network Attached Storage (NAS) - LS-X3.0TL||Buffalo's line of NAS is very popular. This NAS has a great price for a single bay NAS with a 3 TB drive included.||3.0||$|
|WD My Cloud 4TB Personal Cloud Storage - NA||Another extremely economical line of NAS storage comes from Western Digital. This NAS comes with a 4 TB drive included for about the same price as other manufacturers' diskless models.||3.4||$|
Best NAS 2014
Choosing between the best NAS servers available can be difficult especially with such leading makers represented in the 1 bay NAS category such as Synology, QNAP, Buffalo and Western Digital. Synology NAS servers are usually thought to have the best software available in dedicated NAS boxes - Synology's DSM. QNAP is reputed to make some of the best NAS hardware. Western Digital devices are usually considered to be no frills boxes - but they are relatively inexpensive and still get the job done for normal file serving and media serving.
Personally, I have been fond of Synology NAS servers for a long time. I usually choose Synology if my budget allows.
In the world of technology, it is important that you are aware of all the latest devices and softwares because your systems could become outdated over night. Therefore, guides are an essential way for you to easily be able to compare your current technology with what is available on the market.
If you work in a high traffic area, own your own business or simply have a lot of files to store, then you are un-doubtablely aware of Network-attached storage (NAS).
Network-attached-storage, also known as NAS, is a unit that serves as a means to store files among a network of computers. Only those who have access to the network can obtain files on the NAS unit. This unit is not designed to act as a full blown server, it is a network storage unit. There is no keyboard or display. All configurations are done from a network device using a browser.
A NAS unit provides all network device users with a single location to share files. There are many options when trying to choose the right NAS system for your network. Less expensive units may only contain one hard drive while other units could contain dozens.
Three Steps to Buying a NAS Unit:
There are three important steps to consider when purchasing a NAS unit.
- Hardware Vendor
- Internal drive bays
- Determine a specific hard drive
You should take the time to compare units so you make the right decision. First, we will look at why these three steps are important then we will compare units so you can make the right choice.
Like anything else, you want to make sure you purchase a NAS unit from a vendor who has a name to back their product. This will save you from frustration if something goes wrong with the unit. Know ahead a time what each vendor offers as far as warranties and other guarantees on their products.
If you have used a vendor in the past and like them, it is ideal to stick with their product line. However, the hardware vendor is your choice. It really goes off what you want and what they offer.
Internal Drive Bays
Here are some things to consider when deciding on an internal drive bay.
- NAS units that have single drive bays are cheaper than dual units.
- The more drive bays that are purchase ups the amount of hard drive you will need.
- Consider what might happen in case of a spill over of data. Where will that data go?
- Your long term goal should be to take the most valued information and back it up on a NAS unit that is off site.
- Single drives will use less electricity, run quieter and throw off less heat.
When it comes to comparing hard drives of various NAS units, vendors tend to make very large variations causing the consumer to wonder what is what. However, there are pre-installed NAS units that are ready to be utilized right out of the box. If you are not tech savvy, or have not hired someone who is tech savvy to build you a NAS unit, then you should definitely opt for a unit that is pre-installed.
When comparing drives one of the most important concepts to understand is the drive’s efficiency should always rate higher than its performance. Yes, it might seem a little backwards, but it has been proven that when things go array it is typically caused by the NAS unit its self not the hard drive.
Here are some top contender single bay NAS units to compare and see which model might best suit your needs.
This NAS unit is an affordable option that features a lot of network storage solutions. It is the ideal unit for a small business or a work group who needs to share files in a cost effective way. Productivity Is fast and reliable, the system is quiet and remains cool. This is the ideal solution for sharing data because of its Cross Platform File Sharing and comprehensive office applications. What makes these units, one of the best in the one-bay class is the fact that it has a complete backup solution.
- Super speed: Reaches an average 110.19MBps reading speed and 71.84Mbps writing in a Windows environment, high quality performance in the single bay class. Coming with USB 3.0 ports, it offers transmission speeds of up to 5Gbps, 10 times faster than USB2.0.
- Energy Efficient with a Cool and Quiet Design: Synology DS112 is designed to be Eco friendly. There is an installed 60x60mm fan and the smart airflow to keep the system running cool 24/7. This unit only uses 13.2 watts in operation, and support of Wake on LAN/WAN, multiple scheduled power on/off, and hard drive hibernation is available. Last but not least, it is RoHS compliant, and packed with recyclable packaging materials.
- Windows+Mac+Linux Cross Platform File Sharing: Users can share or store data across Windows, Mac, and Linux. Provides a seamless sharing process. Is designed to fit your fast paced lifestyle with the ability to access anything from the unit with the use of an app, DS file, for your iPhone, iPad, and Android. The app can be used remotely through internet access.
- Rich Office Applications this unit is running on DSM (Synology Disk Station Manager), which is an award-winning operating system. It offers comprehensive applications and features designed specifically for small businesses and workgroups. There is a built-in mail server, which turns the Synology DS112 into a dedicated mail service provider. The VPN Server package has an easy VPN solution which will make the unit a VPN server. Allowing users to connect to a private LAN at remote locations with added security. There is a USB printer-sharing capability which reduces cost because users can share a printer. The Synology Web Station can support up to 30 websites and third-party web applications. Including data management, customer management, and e-commerce systems.
- Effective Backup Solutions The Synology DS112 contains a centralized backup location that will combine all the fragmented and unstructured data strung across a network. Included is a backup wizard, which provides for backing up data from the Synology DS112 to another Synology Disk Station, then to other rsync server, or to an external drive. Amazon S3 cloud service is also supported.
The buffalo Link Station is the ideal solution for storage because it is simple and dependable. You can store, stream and backup data in one centralized location. Content can be accessed from a PC, Mac, smartphone or tablet on a home network by logging into the LinkStation Live from a and complete the setup process. Contain a built in BitTorrent, DLNA CertiEd media server, as well as an iTunes server. This will make downloading and streaming effortless. Access is also available on the go through the Buffalo’s free WebAccess service. Sharing data is also available among users outside of the network.
- Backup: This NAS unit has NovaBACKUP Professional, which will backup Windows PC and Mac LinkStation Live. This solution is easy to use and can be utilized among 5 computers. The LinkStation Live is compatible with Apple’s Time Machine, which will allow easy backup for Mac computers.
- Easy remote file access: Files can be accessed from iPhones, iPads and Androids. This system allows users to conveniently access, store, and share data on any smart phone or tablet device.
- BitTorrent Client: This allows users to download any digital content over the internet to the LinkStation Live.
- DLNA Certified and iTunes Servers: This unit is known its robust protocol support to serve as DLNA Certified Media Server and iTunes server. All content will stream seamlessly.
- Eco manager: The LinkStation Live was designed to be eco-friendly. The Eco minded power management tool regulates power usage, conserving energy and battery consumption.
- No Annual or Monthly Fees: LinkStation Live features are completely free, so you will never have any monthly or annual fees.
The TS-120 is known for its powerful hardware, and outstanding processing performance. You can expect easy data backup, sharing among device synchronization, home entertainment, and remote access anytime and anywhere.
- Superior Performance: The QNAp is powered by the Marvell ARM 1.6 GHz processor. It has a TS-120 which provides a significant storage capacity, which can be utilized for archiving data, videos, and music. Multiple users can access the unit, as well as multiple applications running during the same time frame.
- Easier Operations on QTS 4.0 Desktop: There are quick start menu options, a graphical dashboard, drag-and drop icons, multiple users, personalization available, and smart toolbars which make this unit truly customizable and adaptable to your needs.
- App Center: QBAp is known for their advanced app development utilization. Access all the popular apps like Google Drive, Plex, Media server, NZBGet, Python, and much more. Installation occurs almost instantly.
- Cloud Access: No problem if you live an on-the-go lifestyle. All your content saved in the unit is accessible through internet access or there is a free app for tablets an smart phone. The TS-120 becomes personal cloud that is available anytime and anywhere.
- Surveillance Station: This NAS unit has The Surveillance Station Pro and allows users the ability to protect their home while away with the use of IP cameras. Access the comes through the web and mobile device. Amazingly, this unit supports over 1000 IP cameras and with the use of the Surveillance Station Pro you can monitor, record, and playback.
Access all your data in one centralized area without the hassle of monthly fees and limits. All data can be stored on one united including photo’s, video’s, music, and important documents. You have the ability to access your data anytime and anywhere from a PC, Mac, tablet, or Smartphone. The WD’s free app becomes your personalized cloud. This NAS unit has flexible backup options, allowing backup to occur from a PC and you determine how, where, and when.
- Automatic data backup: All computers can be automatically updated. This gives you the security that no matter what your data will be waiting for you. Great feature for those who forget to backup regularly.
- Easy to set up: Set up is a breeze an accessing your data is convenient and easy. You never have to worry about searching for your network.
- Expand Cloud Capacity: With the addition of an attachable USB 3.0 hard drive you can expand your storage by attaching it to the USB expansion port on the My Cloud drive.
- Transfer and access faster: Has a Gigabit Ethernet and a Dual-Core processor, which offers lightening fast data transfers and effortless remote access.
- Password protection: All data remains under your jurisdiction. Therefore, your privacy is never jeopardized. Your cloud will be password protected which will deter unauthorized access.
Sinology Disk Station DS114 is a feature-rich 1-bay NAS, and is constructed to ensure easy management of data. There is an array of features that Synology users can expect to get when purchasing this NAS unit.
- Performance: This unit is a compact yet multi purpose NAS system. It can be utilized for a small business or for home use. Expect the unit to read at a blazing speed of 108.99 MB/Sec. The Ram is double the size of its competitors, and can easily multitask. Comes with two SuperSpeed USB 3.0 interfaces that reach speeds of 5 Gbps per transmission.
- Effective Backup Solutions: All data is stored in one centralized area making it easy to access and find. Plus, it will compress all fragments and unstructured data floating across the network.
- Windows+ Mac+ Linux Cross Platform File Sharing: Synology DS114 has advanced network protocol support, effortless data sharing for Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms. The ability to sync files with the use of the Cloud Station among numerous devices, including Windows PC, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android™ tablets or phones, effortlessly keeping everything up-to-date.
- Energy Efficient with a Cool and Quiet Design: Synology DS114 is designed to be Eco friendly. There is an installed 60x60mm fan and the smart airflow to keep the system running cool 24/7. This unit only uses 13.2 watts in operation, and support of Wake on LAN/WAN, multiple scheduled power on/off, and hard drive hibernation is available. Last but not least, it is RoHS compliant, and packed with recyclable packaging materials.